This is an exciting opportunity for a talented Software Engineer specialising in C++ with a strong Linux background to join an established development team developing a wide range of cutting edge, exciting products for the Electricity Utility industry. Products include industry leading handheld instruments, desktop software, widescale deployment embedded systems and big data storage systems.
The successful candidate will join an already established agile team concentrating on development of applications and the underlying platform for substation automation and intelligence, revolutionising the electricity distribution network.
The successful candidate will join an already established agile team concentrating on development of applications and the underlying platform for substation automation and intelligence, revolutionising the electricity distribution network. Product technology includes C++ (11/14/17), Linux, SQLite, Python and Docker, interfacing to bespoke hardware designs and big data systems.
This role is ideally suited to an individual looking to be part of a dynamic, fast moving development team with the opportunity to be involved from the outset in the design and implementation of software for a high growth device bringing real benefit to Electricity Network operators globally along with the opportunity to lead work streams and have shared responsibilities over the product. Attention to quality and a desire to continuously improve quality and process efficiency is integral to this role given the ever-growing deployment scale of the product. Along with possessing excellent technical skills, the successful candidate must also have a proven track record of leading software and system design and specification through to implementation and deployment.
• Minimum 10 years' experience of Professional Software Development
• Strong understanding and application of C++ 11/14/17
• Experience of software design and specification through to implementation
• Familiar with development targeted for Linux, and Linux as a development environment.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Experience of C++ Unit testing frameworks through writing and maintaining of unit tests.
• Competent in the use of source control systems such as Git and SVN.
• Understand the need for quality standards and experience of working to them
• Good attention to detail and focuses on producing quality software
• Able to be flexible and determine changing priorities
• Willingness to learn new skills and technologies.
• Experience using agile methodologies
• Experience of Continuous Integration tools
• Experience with cross-platform development and build tools (GNU toolchain, Buildroot), bootloaders, kernel configuration, device drivers and device tree
• Ability to interpret standards and customer technical specifications
There will be the ability to develop further in the areas below:
• Experienced in use of Docker
• Good understanding of Python
• Experience developing GUI applications using Qt, ideally for both Linux and Windows
A relevant Computer Science or Software focused degree would be beneficial.
• Awareness of electricity industry or control room applications would be advantageous.
• Familiarity with SCADA protocols such as DNP3, IEC 60870-5-104 would be highly advantageous
8% pension contributions
Group Life Insurance
Critical Illness Cover
Income Protection Cover
Private Medical Insurance
Ability to tailor the package to individual preferences
Flexible working environment
Ongoing professional development
25 days annual leave plus statutory bank holidays