This is an exciting opportunity for a talented Software Engineer specialising in C++ with a Linux background to join an established development team developing a wide range of cutting edge, exciting products for the Electricity Utility industry. Products include industry leading handheld instruments, desktop software, widescale deployment embedded systems and big data storage systems.
Overview of Main Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will join an already established agile team concentrating on development of applications and the underlying platform for substation automation and intelligence, revolutionising the electricity distribution network. Product technology includes C++ (11/14/17), Linux, SQLite, Python and Docker, interfacing to bespoke hardware designs and big data systems.
This role is ideally suited to an experienced and proactive engineer who is looking to be a part of a small team with shared responsibilities over the product and deployments. Attention to quality and a desire to continuously improve quality and process efficiency is integral to this role given the ever-growing deployment scale of the product. Along with possessing excellent technical skills, the successful candidate must also have a proven track record of leading software and system design and specification through to implementation and deployment.
Academic / Knowledge Required:
A relevant Computer Science or Software focused degree would be beneficial.
Special Aptitudes / Skills:
• Minimum 10 years experience of Professional Software Development
• Solid understanding and application of C++ 11/14/17
• Excellent communication, and presentation skills
• Proven track history of software design and specification through to implementation
• Familiar with development targeted for Linux, and Linux as a development environment.
• Experience of C++ Unit testing frameworks through writing and maintaining of unit tests.
• Experienced in the use of source control systems such as Git and SVN.
• Experience working to quality standards.
• Full responsibility and ownership of projects & tasks
• Good attention to detail and focuses on producing quality software
• Able to be flexible and determine changing priorities
• Experience using agile methodologies
• Experienced in use of Docker
• Good understanding of Python
• Experience developing GUI applications using Qt, ideally for both Linux and Windows
• Willingness to learn new skills and technologies.
• Experience of Continuous Integration tools
• Awareness of electricity industry or control room applications would be advantageous.
• Familiarity with SCADA protocols such as DNP3, IEC 60870-5-104 would be highly advantageous
• Experience of leading a team of engineers on a project